- 753 1950's 1960's 1989 art art wank balthus beat berlin bike bird book boxing bullshit climbing collingwood detroit dirtbombs fashion france frankfurt garage german graffiti guitar heat death helsinki herzog interview jamaica japan krakow letter life london lyrics melbourne movie munich music newtown new zealand okinawa paconi photos random reynolds rock rock-climbing rockabilly russia song sydney techno thoughts tokyo trains video wall wd40
- 14,822 hits
June 2020 M T W T F S S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
1. Someone introduces Gödel to a UTM, a machine that is supposed to be a Universal Truth Machine, capable of correctly answering any question at all.
2. Gödel asks for the program and the circuit design of the UTM. The program may be complicated, but it can only be finitely long. Call the program P(UTM) for Program of the Universal Truth Machine.
3. Smiling a little, Gödel writes out the following sentence: “The machine constructed on the basis of the program P(UTM) will never say that this sentence is true.” Call this sentence G for Gödel. Note that G is equivalent to: “UTM will never say G is true.”
4. Now Gödel laughs his high laugh and asks UTM whether G is true or not.
5. If UTM says G is true, then “UTM will never say G is true” is false. If “UTM will never say G is true” is false, then G is false (since G = “UTM will never say G is true”). So if UTM says G is true, then G is in fact false, and UTM has made a false statement. So UTM will never say that G is true, since UTM makes only true statements.
6. We have established that UTM will never say G is true. So “UTM will never say G is true” is in fact a true statement. So G is true (since G = “UTM will never say G is true”).
7. “I know a truth that UTM can never utter,” Gödel says. “I know that G is true. UTM is not truly universal.”
1. london was awesome. random highlights:
seeing jimi hendrix’s and john lennon’s old houses
catching up with old friends
sunday up market
full english breakfast!
seeing hipsters (trendy mutherfuckers)
good times with jamie ruth
pavement / the clean
soho in general.
2. here’s a bunch of cool flash from a german book I saw at good times:
3. how about this: i’ll be seeing the following bands in the space of a week. excited:
– heavy trash
– dead meadow
– the clean
– dinosaur jr.